17 January, 2008

Worst. Night. Ever.

Oh it was AWFUL. For some strange reason, the Little Goat woke up halfway through her afternoon nap yesterday. I nursed her and put her back down and woke her up at around 4 - I try to wake her up when it's still reasonably light outside so she doesn't get the idea that waking up when it's dark out (i.e. NIGHTTIME) is cool.

At 7:30 we brought her upstairs to get ready for her bath. She seemed pretty wide awake, so we sat her on the floor in her room and played for a little while. Then she had her bath, got her jammies on, had a last feed and laid down in her crib. She was awake when I put her down which I try to do so that she's 'putting herself to sleep' or whatever term the 'experts' use. Everything was fine until we decided to head upstairs to bed. We got caught up watching the news and then an episode of the Simpsons online so we didn't get up there until 10:30. She woke up hungry. So far, this is all pretty normal. Until she wouldn't stop crying.

She WOULDN'T. STOP. CRYING.


Pretty much she cried from 11pm until 2am. We gave her a bit of medicine for gas relief, some gripe water for her belly and finally almost a full dose of that grapey yuckiness that is Children's Tylenol, but no dice. I nursed her some more, held her 'skin-to-skin,' rocked her in her chair and she just kept crying. By 1am I had totally had it. She was wailing, I was wailing, and the Husband was desperately trying to calm both of us down in his zombie-like state. He finally called the ER and talked to a nurse he knows who suggested maybe the LG had an ear infection and we should bring her in.

What? An ear infection? My child? SICK?

We checked. No temperature. We got dressed anyway and as soon as I stood up and rocked her, she calmed down a bit. Argh! Fine! But we were already dressed anyway. So we went downstairs and I decided to feed her some cereal because that was the one thing we hadn't tried yet. (She usually eats some when we're finished our dinner, but she was completely disinterested last night so we scrapped that.) Yeah, so as near as we can figure out, she was just damn hungry. After all that. Also, she probably was crying so much and breathing in so much air that she was making her little self a bit hysterical. Anyway, we took her upstairs and got her comfy in her car seat. I dangled my foot off the side of the bed and rocked her to sleep while I fell asleep too. It was 2am, so much for the ER. She woke up shortly after 5 and I fed her. Then fed her again at 6:30 and she slept till 9. Phew!

Now, she's down for her afternoon nap. I'm exhausted. The Husband called home, he also is exhausted. I've got things ready to go for dinner, moaned to all of you about my sleepless woes....now off for a shower and a much-needed nap! Here's to a better night tonight!

7 comments:

erin k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

Nights like that are no fun. I've had my fair share of them too. I hope you have a great nap!

erin k said...

Yeah, sorry, that deleted comment was me...

What I meant to say was, won't they just love us at the hostel?!

here's to better nights ahead for all of us.

Kellan said...

Poor baby - and poor mom and dad. It is so hard sometimes to know what is wrong with them. I'm so glad she settled down and seems to be better.

Thanks for leaving the nice comment today - I appreciate your friendship and hope you know that I enjoy your writing and your stories and have enjoyed getting to know you. Thanks again and I'll see you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

i'm thinking toothies? or some bad gas! hope tonights better. isn't it annoying though when they just WON"T STOP CRYING! at least your husband got up with you...

brenda in memphis

Beck said...

That happens once in a while! Isn't it awful? I hope tonight is restful and QUIET.

Beth said...

Oh my gosh.

We had a night like that a few days ago. Seriously, she was up more than every TWO HOURS. Then she would scream for like 1/2 and when I finally got her back to sleep, I was up for another 1/2 hour. Then she was up an hour later - ALL NIGHT LONG. It about killed me.